Artur Hermann Plusch Spielwaren Fabrik... The original company started by Artur Hermann, his wife Anelheid and his brother Max. Later, in the 1920’s, Artur Hermann formed a company called J Hermann Nachf. Inf. Artur Hermann with his then wife Ida.
Hermann-Speilwaren was also formed in the 1920’s by Artur’s son Max
Gebruder-Hermann was a company which traded under the name of ‘Be-Ha’ and was started by another son of Artur Hermann, called Bernard and now trades under the name of Hermann Teddy Original.
Got it? if so, well done! So here is the info...
Artur Hermann Plusch Spielwaren Fabrik
In 1913 Artur founded a teddy bear making firm with his sister Adelheid and brother Max.
Around 1920, Artur moved to Sonneberg to begin his own company which in the late 1920’s became known as J Hermann Nachf. Inf. Artur Hermann.
The company continued to make teddy bears under this name until 1954 when it was sold to Anker Plush Toys in Munich, Germany.
Bernard Hermann, son of Artur and Ida also set up in the bear making business, it is thought, in the late 1920’s.
The company traded as 'Be-Ha' until after the second world war when it was reorganised to become Hermann Teddy Original (Gebuder Hermann KG)
Their red tag identifies these Hermann bears. The company produced quality bears and other plush animals. It introduced its collector series in the 1980's designed in house and moved on to commission bear artists to design teddy bears for them.
Hermann - Spielwaren
Max, another son of Artur, branched out from the main company in the 1920's to produce his own designs.
In 1947, his son, Rolf-Gerhard joined the company and the company changed it’s name from Max Hermann to Hermann and Sonn.
After WWII the family worked in the US zone of Germany but by 1953 had completely moved its operations to Coburg.
These Hermann teddy bears are identifiable by their Green swing tags which were introduced in 1968. They then changed the style of these tags in 1977 to include the new company name which had now been registered as Hermann-Spielwaren GmbH.
The company has gone from strength to strength producing its first collector's series in house. In the 1980's they also commissioned teddy bear artists to design for them.