The Alpha bears, which were made of Yorkshire mohair, became famous and Farnell quickly established itself as one of Britains most popular bear makers. Farnell bears were sold in most major stores, including Harrods in London where the original Alpha bear was brought for Christopher Robin Milne and went on to become Winnie the Pooh.
In 1927 the firm extended it's range to produce Anima wheeled toys, which included a bear and the factory space was extended to cope with the new production lines.
In 25 January 1928 Agnus Farnell died. The Farnell company however continued to expand and in the same year opened its new showroom in London at 19 New Union Street, East London.
In 1929 the company joined forces with Louis Force & Co Inc to distribute its toys in America and Canada. A showroom was opened at 215-219 Fourth Avenue, New York. By the end of the 1920's the Farnell company had also established a showroom in Paris.
In 1931 G.E.Beer became director of the company, staying with them until 1935. In the same year the comany introduced its cheap Unicorn soft toys and production of Silkalite artifical silk plush bears had started.
In 1932, J. K. Farnell joined forces with William Bailey (Birmingham) Ltd a toy manufacturing firm managed by Percy V Goodwin. One sales team was used to market the goods of both firms.
The company had its premisies totally destroyed by fire in 1934. Despite this setback J.K.Farnell was operating again within a year from a new factory, large enough for the firm to employ 300 workers.
Many new designs were introduced at this time including Che-Kee (in Lambswool), Alpac (in Alpaca) and Jay Day dolls and the old ranges including the Alpha Teddy series of bears were revived.
In 1940 the Farnell company suffered extensive bomb damage of their premises and once agin the factory had to be totally rebuilt.
Henry Kirby Farnell died in 1944.
During the 1950's the company’s trademark was redesigned and new showrooms were opened at Condor House, 13-14 St Paul's Churchyard, East London, England.
In 1959 a production unit with 100 employees was established at 39 George St, Hastings, Sussex, England (on the south coast) and this later became the the Olympia Works. This new unit produced 95% of Teddy bears made by Farnell for export with the Acton factory now being used to produce toys mainly for the British market. Farnells head office was relocated to Hastings.
In 1960, the Farnell company registered the Mother Goose trade mark for washable nylon toys.
In 1964, all production of Farnell toys was moved to Hastings and a subsiduary company Acton Toycraft Ltd took over the lease of the Alpha Works which it renamed the Twyford Works.
In 1968, the Farnell company was taken over by a finance company and production stopped.
In 1996 The Farnell company name was bought by Merrythought who now produce replicas of the original Farnell bears.